My Go To Lazy Cashew Alfredo Dinner
I want to thank the wonderful Tanya Leung for requesting this recipe.
This vegan Alfredo sauce is one that I make often and pair with any kind of pasta I have on hand. It's especially handy when I've had a long, moody day like today and need the dinner making affair to be considerably less arduous.
photo posted first on my Instagram Story
When Tanya asked for the recipe, I had to post it right away because it could save my transitioning and vegan-curious friends a lot of time!
Warning: I don't measure when I cook, so I'll be playing fast and loose with the ingredient portion descriptions.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
What you'll need:
- A handful of raw cashews
- A sprig of fresh basil
- 2-4 pimento seeds
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- chopped red onions, red peppers, and fresh thyme
- (optional) chopped cabbage
- raw sesame seeds for the topping
- 3-minute chow mein** (or any other pasta, I've done this will shells, penne, all the pasta!)
Tip: make this a mac and cheeze by adding squash, a dash of cayanne pepper, and half a teaspoon of pure maple syrup!
How I made it:
- In a Nutribullet Rx, I put the cashews, basil, pimento, salt, pepper and 1 tsp of oil with *enough water to cover all the ingredients in the cup.
- Place the chow mein noodles in boiling water for 3-5 minutes, **I keep the total time to make dinner down to 10 minutes with this specific 3-minute chow mein. It may take 2-5 minutes longer with other types of pastas. Drain.
- Place your red onions, peppers and thyme in 1tsp of oil until the onions fade to a light, almost white, colour. If you're having the cabbage, add to the pot and mix until the cabbage's opacity is reduced.
- Pour your sauce in the pot, mix thoroughly for a minute.
- Remove your pot from the heat, add your pasta and stir.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds to your liking.
Disclaimer: some of the links included in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase using the link I will receive a commission.